MARY ALBERTA CLELAND (Canadian, 1876-1960)
The Roddick Gates (McGill University) during construction, winter 1924/25
Of historical Canadian interest. The Roddick Gates Entrance to McGill University, Sherbrooke Street, opened in 1925.
Measures 13 x 16 inches
Oil on canvas on board backed with reinforcing straps.
Signed lower left 'A. Cleland'
Note: the wrought iron fencing – missing in this image – was installed after the completion in spring 1925 of the limestone pillars. This work captures a period during the construction of the gates, when heavy snows halted progress. Based on the November 28, 1924 photograph of the construction in the McCord Museum, this painting dates during the winter months between December 1924 and March 1925. The gates were officially christened in May 1925.
Mary studied at the A.A.M. (Montreal Museum of Art) where she became a teacher alongside William Brymner. Her students include Edwin Holgate, Nora Collyer, Marion Scott and others from 1898-1937.